American Indians Class
An interactive journey back in time, our AMERICAN INDIANS course exposes students to the American Indian culture by hands-on learning and examination through the eyes of the early explorers. During the class, students will:
- "Join" Rene-Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle as the first European explorers to enter East Texas.
- "Meet" woodland and plains Indians and learn how they lived before the influence of European culture.
- Compare and contrast the structure of a tipi and a wigwam.
- Taste samples of foods eaten by many American Indian tribes.
- Learn to hunt with a bow and arrow.
- Hold tools crafted with bone, stone, and sinew.
- Make a bead bracelet and learn how paints were developed and used.
- Experience a Pow Wow and receive an individual tribal name.
- Observe a native winter count and learn how to create their own.