Food Services Manager
Horn Creek, CO
Food Services Manager
Horn Creek, CO
The Food Service Manager is responsible for managing the food service operations within Sky Ranch as it pertains to guests and staff. The primary responsibilities of the Food Service Manager is to oversee the day-to-day operations of meal service and guest experience in each dining hall and to ensure that food services follow policies and procedures and meets federal and state requirements. This position works with the Horn Creek Camp Director, as well as the Well Being Director, to ensure all food service operations are meeting the needs and expectations from both an operational and organizational direction standpoint.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee food ordering and inventory. Manage all food deliveries, checking delivery contents to verify product quality, quantity and order accuracy.
- Maintain kitchen and Dining Hall equipment and supplies.
- Manage food and equipment inventory and keep inventory records. Inspect supplies and work areas.
- Monitor food preparation methods, portion sizes, and the overall presentation of food.
- Comply with CO health and food safety standards and regulations and ensure employees comply with health and food safety standards and regulations.
- Manage customer communication regarding all dietary issues and menu requests- resolve complaints regarding food quality and service.
- Communicate regularly with Camp Director on all issues as they relate to Food Services, and provide bi-weekly departmental updates and monthly financial reports.
- Communicate with Well-Being Director on all issues regarding various dietary needs and nutrition.
- Plan menus and food utilization, based on anticipated number of guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity and costs.
- Respond to requests for information in a timely manner whether it is from a supervisor, team member or a guest asking for information about special diets.
- Manage Food Service staff schedule and assign responsibilities.
- Provide direction and supervision to direct reports; provide professional growth and development; develop and communicate goals and objectives; monitor, evaluate, and provide constructive feedback and direction to direct reports; conduct annual performance and ongoing evaluation.
- Establish standards for personnel performance and customer service.
- Cook and perform other duties in kitchen in the event that help is needed.
- Maintain compliance with Sky Ranch’s employee policies and procedures.
- Maintain compliance with all state and federal laws and regulatory requirements.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Qualified candidates should possess the following:
- Be a committed believer in Jesus Christ, with an active membership in a local church.
- Preferred- Bachelor’s degree in restaurant and hospitality management or institutional food service management.
- Five years of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to effectively manage staff in areas such as: selection, development, coaching, motivation, scheduling, and performance evaluation.
- Proven successful leadership experience and ability to build unity amongst a team and motivate them to work together toward a common mission.
- Ability to relate positively, influentially, and sensitively to a broad spectrum of persons in a variety of multi-tiered relationships and settings to include but not limited to guests (youth and families), co-workers and peers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and relationship building skills. Ability to plan, manage, and report budgets proficiently. Exceptional financial management skills.
- Ability to provide logistical planning.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Ability to prepare moderately complex reports.
- Ability to exercise independent thinking and initiative.
- Ability to deal with complex situations or issues and make effective, timely and appropriate decisions.
- Ability to speak, read, and write proficiently in English. Excellent, professional written communication skills. Ability to speak clearly in face to face interactions; to articulate with accuracy on the telephone and through e-mail. Excellent listening skills.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to multi-task and manage a variety of tasks.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate the vision of Sky Ranch to both internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing excellent customer service. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- In-depth understanding of the field of food service.
- Comprehensive knowledge and the ability to use all kitchen equipment and train others on its safe use as well.
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to use various office software including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook. Basic internet and social media skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Regular physical effort required. Ability to use up to 25 or more pounds of force often.
- Ability to grasp, push, pull, carry or otherwise manipulate objects; ability to perform tasks requiring action of muscles or groups of muscles and foot and/or hand-eye coordination is all a daily part of the job in food service for everything from putting up groceries when they enter the building down to when you are making plates to be served to guests.
- Requires some physical agility, including but not limited to: bending for items below or reaching for items above the individual; stooping, and climbing step stools or ladder.
Must be able to stand for long periods of time, occasionally up to 12 to 14 hours.
- Work indoors and outdoors rarely in a normal office environment, usually on the move the majority of the time on feet checking and rechecking things.
- Daily exposure to physical risk, in the normal use of kitchen equipment and lifting and carrying heavy cases.
- Ability to travel to various geographic locations, including travel by car, and some overnight stays including weekends.
Sky Ranch offers a competitive compensation package that includes base salary, medical, dental, vision, Life, AD&D, STD & LTD coverage, 403(b) retirement plan, along with PTO and paid holidays.